Our Startup List: Language Learning Europe gives you access to 80 edtech startups in the language education space across Europe.
Each entry is carefully researched and covers the following points (when information is publicly available):
- Company Name, Website
- Country, City
- Founding Date, Founders
- B2C, B2B, Vertical, Type, Age Group, Language
- Investment, Investor, Accelerator
- User / Download numbers
- CrunchBase / AngelList Profile / LinkedIn Company Page
The 80 language learning startups we tracked for this list have raised over $66 million in the past 15 years, with babbel ($32m), busuu ($11m), LinguaLeo ($3,7m) and ABA English ($3,4m) leading the list.
In terms of popularity we see the verticals of ESL (English as Second Language), self-paced online language courses, online learning communities and language exchange, tutoring platforms and marketplaces leading the list.
- ESL: 22
- Online Course: 19
- Community: 15
- Marketplace: 8
It is noteworthy that out of the 80 language learning startups we tracked for this list 56 were founded in the past five years. Spain alone added nine startups between 2012 and 2014.
- UK: 13
- Germany: 12
- Spain: 11
- France: 10
Latest posts by Kirsten Winkler (see all)
- Funding: The Top Five French EdTech Startups - May 3, 2017
- Another Strong Quarter for European EdTech as Investments Double - April 27, 2017
- Fact Sheet: K-12 is Europe’s Hottest EdTech Vertical - April 25, 2017